Click on this image to see a larger one in a new window or tab.
Alongside the 20 Spitfire stamps are 20 labels depicting images and narrative describing the period. Among these we can see:
1. The Battle is Named. Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill who said "The Battle of France is over. I expect the Battle of Britain is about to begin."
2. The Dowding System. Air Chief Marhsall Hugh Dowding's Early Warning Radar system (colum 3/1).
3. Brendan (Paddy) Finucane one of many notable flying aces among the fliers from 14 countries (column 3/5)
4. St Paul's Cathedral - the iconic picture showing the dome surrounded by burning London.
5. Firefighters - similar picture to that included in the Britain Alone set issued in May.
6. The Battle of Britain Memorial in London, one of several memorials in the country is on the final label.The top margin shows the Principal RAF Planes flown in combat during the Battle of Britain:
Bristol Blenheim, Boulton Paul Defiant, Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire, Gloster Gladiator.
The bottom margin shows
the number of Allied Pilots by Country alongside their 1940
|Pre-issue publicity image of self-adhesive retail booklet containing two Spitfire and 4 definitive 1st class stamps.|
Designed by Demgrafic, the A4 (297 x 210mm) Smilers Sheet is printed in litho by Cartor Security Printing. The booklet is printed by Walsall Security Printers Ltd and the definitive stamps to have MCIL and MA10 codes. The Spitfire stamp - like all the Design Classics stamps - was designed by HGVand photographed by Jason Tozer. All images are Copyright 2010 by Royal Mail.
Postmarks available on the day of issue will be shown here. This is not regarded by Royal Mail as a new issue, so there will be no official First Day postmarks available. These may not be to scale, and cannot be obtained after 15 September.
|Ref L11848 70th Anniversary The Battle of Britain, Ruislip Middlesex||Ref L11845
70th Anniversary The Battle of Britain, Biggin Hill, Westerham, Kent
Spitfire Stamp Book, Spitfire Road, Birmingham
70th Anniversary The Battle of Britain, Stanmore Middlesex
70th Anniversary The Battle of Britain, Croydon Surrey
70th Anniversary WWII, Whitehall, London SW14
you want to be lept informed when this page is updated, please use the
ChangeDetection panel at the top of the page. If you have any questions
on these stamps please email
NB: all emails will be acknowledged in 1-2 days. If you do not receive an acknowledgement please email us from a different address (eg hotmail, gmail).
This page updated 11 September 2010
7 Classic Album Covers
7 Olympic Games retail book 1
26 Business & Customised Smilers MS
2 Girl Guide Centenary
25 350th ann of the Royal Society
25 Olympic Games retail book 2
1 Castles of Wales
11 Battersea Dogs & Cats Home
23 House of Stewart
30 Machin & Country Definitives
30 Festival of Stamps retail advertising book
13 Endangered Mammals
6 Accession of George V*
8 The King's Stamps* &
London 2010 Souvenirs *
13 Britain Alone (1940)*
* London 2010 Festival of Stamps issues
18 Halley's Comet Commemorative Sheet
15 House of Stuart
15 Endangered Mammals Retail Booklet
8 British Grand Prix Commemorative Sheet
27 Olympics & Paralympics II
& Olympic Games retail book 3
10 London Eye Commemorative Sheet
19 Great British Railways I
19 Retail booklets: 12x2nd, 6x1st
15 Battle of Britain - Spitfire Generic Sheet & Retail booklet
16 Medical Breakthroughs
17 Faststamps: Bird pictorials
12 Children's Books
12 Olympic Games retail book 4
26 Special Delivery Machins
28 Remembrance: the National Arboretum
2 Christmas - Wallace & Gromit